Download our free Resume Ebook

Asked by Lu on April 20, 2017

What do I do if a background check shows a fraud charge but was never convicted and charge was dropped? It was a charge that had no merit but still appears on background records. I'm applying for a financial services jobs.

Answered by Lisa, Hiring Expert at VF Corporation, on April 21, 2017

Hi, Try contacting the local courthouse where the case was filed.  I beleive you can ask for the record to be removed since there was no conviction.   Also, you could contact an attorny and seek their advice.

Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Kimberly , Hiring Expert at Emerson, on April 26, 2017

If the charges show on the background check, you want to make sure that you're disclosing them on the release.  You should volunteer an explanation so the employer is not surprised when they see the results.

Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Stephanie, Hiring Expert at AT&T Inc., on May 23, 2017

Always respond to questions on an application truthfully.  One of the worst moments I had as a recruiter was having to turn someone down for a fraudulent application who was otherwise awesome.  If they had been up front we could have worked with it. 

Know what is on your background check.  If there are surprises, figure out if you can do something about it.  I can't give you legal advice, but if you need to seek it out, do it.  Why have something hanging over your head like that if there is something you can do about it. 

Best of luck!

Was this answer helpful?