Answered by Nell, Hiring Expert at Pitney Bowes, on Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Congratulations on becoming a Lawyer! What an awesome accomplishment! Now assuming you have tried the usual stuff that my colleagues have recommended to you, Indeed, LinkedIn, law firm searches. If you have done all of these things, and are still having trouble finding a position. You may have to think outside the box.
1) Consider another location- Perhaps the market in Puerto Rico is saturated. You may want to consider another area.
2) Consider using a placement firm. Just be careful on the firm, they can sometimes have their own interest above yours, but overall, a good option. Don’t ever pay them though.
3) Consider positions that are outside of the box that could utilize someone with a law degree. In corporate positions lawyers are greatly utilized for compliance, regulatory, benefits, employee engagement, etc... Think of your skillset beyond the courtroom.
4) Consider taking a post-graduation internship or apprenticeship. This is great way to get your foot in the door.
5) Join professional organizations to build your network.
I wish you all the best in your search!