/ Asked by Sean
I have been job searching recently and have had several interviews, with different companies in the past month. One company said they would like to have a candidate hired by the start of the next month, 2-3 weeks from now. Another company is having me come in for a second interview tomorrow and has mentioned they would like to hire soon as well. How do you navigate a situation in which one company may present an offer now, but you would like to wait a couple of weeks to see if the other one will present an offer as well?
Answered by Tanya, Hiring Expert at Merck & Co., Inc., on Monday, April 20, 2015
Typically during the interview process the Recruiter or interviewer will ask you directly if you currrently have an offer or are expecting one shortly. The best policy in this case is honesty!!

At my company when this situation arises we try to make arrangements to get the offer out prior to the response date of your offer in hand.
Answered by Mandy, Hiring Expert at Mutual of Omaha, on Monday, April 20, 2015
If you're offered a position and if you're waiting to hear back on another interivew, it really depends on the time frame that the company is willing to give you to make a decision. A reasonable amount of time to hear back once an offer is extended is typically 2-3 days. The company may give you a deadline to have your decision made by. You will have to decide if you want to take the offer that's presented or take your chances on a position that may not be offered to you.
Answered by Sonya, Hiring Expert at Archer Daniels Midland, on Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Congrats on having several interviews. Not everyone is as lucky as you are. I would be completely honest with both companies. Let the other company know that you have an offer on the table and the decision date is _______. They should be able to work with you and let you know if you have an offer or no offer before that date. Best of luck!!
Answered by Angie, Hiring Expert at Asurion, on Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Congratulations on being considered by multiple employers! In this scenario, your best bet is to be 100% transparent with both organizations.

Most employers will expect a response to an offer within a couple of days. I would suggest letting the second potential employer know that you have an offer that you must respond to, and see if there is anything they can do to expedite the selection / interview process on their end to accommodate your deadline. If they can, then great! If they cannot, then you will have to make a decision to either accept the offer in hand or decline it in the hopes of getting an offer from the other employer in the future.

Best of luck!
Real Time Web Analytics