/ Asked by Jordan
I am looking for paid work experience in Chicago this summer, before I move overseas. Are there any defined time period jobs out there? Something maybe one step above an internship, as I am a grad student? Is this something I might try and negotiate with companies?
Answered by Ashlyn, Hiring Expert at Worthington Industries, on Monday, January 23, 2017
Have you considered doing work as contract labor? Typically contractors are assigned a project that lasts a set amount of time, depending on the scope. This is something that you can look into. You could also work for a temporary agency if you're looking for short term work. They would place you somewhere for a set amount of time (as needed by the company hiring).

Check out these two options. They would get you some good experience before moving.
Best of luck! 
Answered by Dean, Hiring Expert at Archer Daniels Midland, on Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Hi!  There are many factors that will play into your goal.  The most important part is to ask!  As I do not know more specific to your situation and because this is during the summer, an internship is the most likey venue. I understand that you are a graduate student, but internships are an important part of your career exploration and networking.  Your level of work during an internship will depend on what you bring to the table, experience, education level, and most importantly you!  You will need to ensure that you communicate what you are doing overseas and will you expect to return as that will also impact you summer experience.
Good Luck!
Answered by Amanda, Hiring Expert at Daikin Applied, on Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Hello,  It sounds like an internship is what your seeking due to the short time period you're available.  Typically grad students will do internships as well.  Usually their interships are of greater scope then a traditonal undergrad internship.  You will specifically need to call this out while searching and interviewing.  Your school career center may also have leads for internships at a higher level.  Best of luck!
Answered by Cory, Hiring Expert at Cigna, on Thursday, January 26, 2017
Hi! There are definitely options for you. As a grad student, you can absolutely still do a graduate level internship, those exist! That way its a step up from an undergraduate level internship, plus it looks great on a resume! You can also apply for temp positions. These are full time roles that companies use an external vendor to find people who can come in to work on a project or during the busy season for a certain allotted amount of time. Do be aware that temp positions often do not come with any benefits. To find these roles, use filters such as "temporary" or "temp" or you can visit a contracting agency for placement. Good luck!  
Real Time Web Analytics