/ Asked by Nathalie
I am applying for part time jobs and had a bunch of interviews this week. I had 2 interviews yesterday and this morning one already offered me the position. However, I like the other job that I applied for, a little more. The other job told me that they will let me know by next week. What do I do? I don't want to burn any bridges as I need a job.
Answered by Sara, Hiring Expert at Textron Inc., on Wednesday, May 9, 2018
Having multiple options can be tricky. Typically, companies will give you a little time to decide whether to accept the offer. If you were asked to answer in the next day or two you could ask the company to give you a little more time to decide and they may be willing to allow you a week or so. If they are unable to provide you the extension, you may need to make a decision on the first offer before finding out about the second position. If that is the case, you should think through the pros and cons of each opportunity as well as the implications of waiting to hear from the second company. You may want to consider whether one or the other will better help you reach your career goals and what else you want to gain from your experience. In the end, if you choose to accept the first position you should likely stand behind your choice whether you get an offer from the second company. Good luck with your decision. 
Answered by Mike, Hiring Expert at Avery Dennison Corporation, on Friday, November 2, 2018

Congrats on your offer!  That's exciting news, but a challenging situation.  Having been on both sides of that situation (employer and candidate), I could definitely relate.

First off, I think you should clarify with the company when they expect you to respond to their offer.  While some companies might expect responses in 2-3 days, some are a little more lenient and allow for a week or two.  In either case, I think it would be important to clarify early on.  

If they are looking for a quick turnaround on your response, it's not inappropriate for you to ask for an extension.  While I wouldn't necessarily let them know you are expecting another offer, I would let them know that you need more time to decide.  Most companies will be agreeable to that.  

There might come a point, though, where you might need to make a decision on either passing on the current offer (in hopes of getting an offer from the second company), or accepting the offer you have received.  I know that could be a tough decision, but at some point you might need just make a decision.  

Best of luck!  Thanks!
Real Time Web Analytics